So, you are trying to teach, but your laptop keeps disconnecting from your projector after about 5 minutes or so. Why does this happen? Well, your laptop is designed to shut down your display after a period of inactivity so that it can conserve battery power. If you would like to change this setting, you will have to make a few adjustments to your laptop’s power settings. Below, I will show you two ways to accomplish this in Microsoft Windows 7 as well as Microsoft Windows 10.
In Windows 7.
- Go to the Start Button at the bottom left of the screen and select Control Panel.
2. Make sure that you have Small Icons selected. If not, go to View By at the top right corner and change the drop down to Small Icons.
3. Choose Power Options from the list of menu choices.
4. On the left menu, choose Choose When to Turn Off Display.
5. Change Turn Off Display to Never on the “Plugged In” side. If you change to Never on On Battery, it will drain your laptop battery faster.
In Windows 10
- Click the Windows button at the bottom left of the screen and select the Settings “gear wheel” icon.
2. Select the System icon.
3. Choose Power & Sleep.
4. Choose when your monitor should go to sleep.